Sunday, October 13, 2013

Au Revoir Burkina, Hello Philippines! (Airport Adventures)

**Disclaimer:  Obviously a few major events in my life as a Peace Corps volunteer have not been documented in my blog posts.  For example, I am now in Manila.  I am no longer a Peace Corps Volunteer.  I said goodbye to Burkina.  etc. etc.   All of those stories will come at some point in time, but they are not ready yet, and I feel it is important to wait until everything I want to write about (and remember) is complete and recorded in chronological order, before I post it.  Especially since everything in my life from June-mid September needs to be said.  Whether you care or not.  My blog is more for me, than for anyone else.  So for now, for your reading pleasure, here is a bit of my adventures post Peace Corps.  And someday, perhaps when I'm back in the USA, I'll post about my last months in village.....someday.



(The Events of) September 21, 2013: Airport Adventures

It took a while, but eventually my bags were packed.  I had stuffed as much as possible into my 2 suitcases, my backpack, and my laptop case, and I was well aware that every single one of my items was over the weight limit by at least 5 pounds.  Whoops.  But it’d be fine, right?  I didn’t know what else to do to make my baggage situation better – I had already eliminated everything I could part with (and some items I couldn’t).  The framed metal-carved lion from Niger given as a gift from Salimata Sanago?  I guess it’s got to stay in the Transit House… letters people wrote me?  Sadly, in the garbage….my guitar music binder I’ve had since 9th grade?  I crumbled up a few sheets of music and was just about to throw the whole binder into the garbage, when a friend who had been watching me told me to stop:  “Just shove it into your laptop pocket.   You’re already over the limit, so who cares if you add another half a pound.   You’re done; go to bed.” 

He was right.  I was tired and sad.  I wanted to be done packing and get a few hours of shuteye on my mattress on the Transit House porch for the last time.  I zipped up my suitcases, threw away my garbage, placed my box of giveaway items on the table (stuff like half-full bottles of shampoo and lotion, a hairbrush, sunscreen, etc.), and showered  so I’d be ready for my taxi that would be coming to take me to the airport in a few short hours.

Ishmael, my taxi driver, was right on time at 7am.  We loaded up my things (2 suitcases, my backpack, and my laptop case) and away we drove.  When I got to the airport I was surprised to see that nothing was open yet – no ticket windows, no luggage check-in counters, no one exchanging money.   Although, come to think of it, I’m not sure why I was surprised.  In fact, past experiences with the Ouaga airport have taught me to greatly lower my expectations about the airport’s organization and its responsibilities to its passengers….

I was the second passenger who had arrived for the morning’s flights (the first of which was to Cote d’Ivoire at 10:30am, followed by my flight to Ethiopia at 11:15am), and I ended up waiting for almost 2 hours until the airport decided that it was ready to start for the day.  Finally I was at the Ethiopian Air check-in counter.  Bag one: 4 kg over.  Bag two: 4.5 kg over.  Dang.  “That’ll be 9 kg of extra baggage charge, madame.  63 mille CFA.  And it’s good only until Hong Kong, not all the way to Manila.”  There was no way I was paying an additional $126 (plus a fee again in Hong Kong) for my luggage, especially when I knew I had things I could rearrange and by doing so, would reduce weight by at least a few kilos.  My flute got clipped to the outside of my backpack, along with my tennis shoes.  I took out my traditional pagnes and wrapped them around me like skirts, one by one until all three were attached.   All the Burkinabe around me just grinned and nodded in approval, and I acted all casual about it and jokingly justified my wardrobe by saying, “It gets really cold on airplanes!”  Additionally, all the foulards became a big scarf around my neck, and I put on a bunch of my jewelry, and some more of it was shoved into my sweatshirt pockets.   Better, right?  Yup, now each bag was only 2 kg over….but that still wasn’t good enough.   So I threw out my bag of cosmetics, everything except for my malaria medication and contact solution.  Besides, I didn’t really need toothpaste, or deodorant, or shampoo throughout the next 5 weeks, right?

Check-in Counter Guy:  Madame, you need to put this back in your suitcase, please.
Me:  I can’t, it’s too heavy.  I’m leaving it here.
Guy:  Uhh….no, you can’t.  You must take it.
Me:  No, my bags are too heavy and I don’t have any money to pay for overweight fees, so I need to leave it.
Guy:  Uhh…..you’re abandoning it?
Me: Yes. Yes I am.
Guy:  Uhh….. ***turns to his boss who was watching me this whole time, and holds up my bag of cosmetics*** ….Sir, she wants to abandon this?  What do we do?  ***boss shrugs***
Me: Just keep it.  Take it home and give it to your wife.
Guy:  Uhh….?....No, I can’t…..What is it?
Me:  It’s toothpaste and soap.  Your family will like it.  It’s a gift!
Guy:  Uhh…. I will hold onto it, and if we find anyone with the same ticket as you to Manila and some extra space in their luggage, we will ask them to put it in their suitcase and you can get it when you arrive in Manila.  Ok?
Me:  Sure, whatever.    ***We both knew that there’d be absolutely NO ONE besides me going from Burkina to Manila.***

My two suitcases were now as good as they were going to get without leaving further things behind (each 1.5 kg over), and I was kinda holding up the line for everyone behind me.  So the boss came over, “okayed” my suitcases and told the check-in counter worker to just label my bags as heavy on the ticket (but no fee) and move along.  The boss eyed my carry-on’s, as well as my ridiculous “outfit,” asked to weigh my backpack, saw it was 12.5 kilos instead of the allotted 7kg (not including the flute that I left next to my twenty-plus-pound laptop), and simply said, “Your bags are all very heavy.   Too heavy.  You might have problems with your connecting flights.  Good luck.”

And to the visa counter I went.

Police Officer:  Madame, you listed your Burkinabe address as “Lanfiera.”  Lanfiera?
Me:  Yes, it’s the name of my village.
PO:  Never heard of it.
Me:  Lanfiera.  It’s a small village by Tougan.
PO:  Maybe.   But I don’t know it.  Why didn’t you live in Ouaga?  We could have been friends and you could’ve taught me how to have conversations in English. 
Me:  I don’t like Ouaga, I like my village.  And I don’t speak English.
PO:  Hahaha, c’est faux.  Your passport says you are American, so I know you can speak English.
Me:  ***Silent glare and look of disapproval***
PO:   So, Lanfiera.  You need to write a real address.  Where did you live in Lanfiera?
Me:  Um, in a house? 
PO:  What street?
Me:  There are no street names.  I lived by the mosquée and the water pump.
PO:  Well you need to write something specific, like a mailbox number.
Me:  So you want me to make something up?
PO:  Hahaha, well….. sure.  It’s not’s a problem.  No one looks at these.  Also we need your cell phone number.
Me:  I don’t have one.
PO:  You didn’t have a phone?
Me:  I did, but now that I’m leaving definitively, I no longer have a working phone number.  **that was a lie; my phone was actually in pocket…***
PO:  So you won’t give me your number so I can call you from time to time and practice speaking English?
Me:  ***silent glare and an even bigger look of disapproval***
PO:  Okay, well you need to put your thumb on this scanner.
***And the electricity goes out***
PO:  Ohhhhhh, hahaha no electricity!  My computer screen is black, you see?   You’ll have to wait; we didn’t finish loading your fingerprint onto the computer.   ……so do you have facebook?
***After an awkward 3-4 minutes, the electricity comes back, thank god.  My thumb was scanned and I advanced to the security check point.***

Surprisingly, I didn’t experience too many problems here.  They asked me if I was Burkinabe, since my hair was braided, my feet and hands were hennaed, and I was wearing traditional pagne.  They questioned the flute, and so I had to demonstrate that it was indeed an instrument of music by putting it together and producing a few notes.  They also remarked that my computer and backpack were too heavy, but since I tried to apologize in Jula and Moore and say that I was leaving Burkina for good and needed to take back gifts for my family, they were amused by this and they let me slide on through.  At last, I had made it.  I plopped myself down on a chair and took off my layers of scarves and skirts.   But not even ten minutes later, my name was announced over the intercom to report to the original baggage check-in counter.  NOOOOOO!!!  What did I do????

Check-in Counter Guy:  Madame, the police would like to see you.
Me:  …..?
Check-in Counter Guy:  Please follow me.  ***He leads me to a backroom where two young officers are staring at my two suitcases.***
Me:  Bonjour….?
Officer 1: Ah, c’est une jolie femme Burkinabé.  Comment ça va ?
Officer 2:  You are married?
Me:  Is there a problem with my luggage?
Officer 1:  You do not answer his question?  Why?
Officer 2:  You are not married?
Me:  It doesn’t matter if I’m married or not.  Why are my suitcases not on the plane?
Officer 2:  We need to look inside them.  
Me:  Ok.
Officer 1: You have questionable items inside; we need to search for weapons.
Me:  Alright.  I bet I know what the problem is.  ***I unzip the first suitcase, pull out my clarinet case, and open it up.***
Officer 1:  Whyyy !!!    What is that?
Officer 2:  It’s for playing music, you idiot.  Are you stupid?
Officer 1:  A flute?
Officer 2:  Yes.
Me:  No.
Officer 2:  No!?!  Not a flute?  Then what is it?
Me:  A clarinet.
Officer 2:  A clarinet?  I do not know this instrument.  Is it like the trumpet?  Play it.
***I put together the clarinet, glide through a chromatic scale and screech out some high notes, and then smile sweetly at the young officers, who have been whispering to each other and giggling.***
Officer 1:  ***now speaking in English***   It is good.  Very good.  Thank you .
Officer 2:   ***also in English***  He wishes to say that you are very ….very, how do you say it…bea-u-tiii-fulll.
***Officer 1 punches Officer 2 in the arm.***
Officer 1:  No, it is him who say that.  He want that he can make you his wife.
***Officer 2 punches Officer 1 in the arm.***
Me:  I only marry men who have lots of money.
Officer 1:  Yah.  He not rich.  This one, he have no money.  But I have much money!
Officer 2:  No, he lie.  He only say ‘deese lies cuz he want to marry you.  He is a faux-type.  He not good.
Me:  Okay, well I can’t marry either of you – my plane is leaving soon.  Can I close my suitcase now?
Officer 2:  First, we must finish searching.  What is this?
***The officer points to my contact solution; I say it’s for my eyes.  Then they point to another “weird” item, and another…and then the calabash (drinking gourd) that I have wrapped up.  ***
Me:  That’s a calabash…?  Don’t you know what it is…?  ***I understand them being curious about my contact solution and my pink razor….but the calabash?  That’s a traditional Burkinabe item!  EVERYONE in Burkina knows what a calabash is.  I was confused as to why they were confused…***
Officer 2:  Ah yes.  Calabash.  I know it, I know it.  I just ask to see if YOU know what is it.  To see if you are real Burkinabe or no.
Me:  Ok, well can I close my suitcase now?
Officer 1:  Yah.  We finish.  So when you come back?
Me:  I’m not.  I’m leaving forever and going back to America.
Officer 1:  So you won’t like to marry my friend?
Me:  No, not really.  But if you work hard and make a lot of money, maybe someday, if I come back to Burkina, I’ll marry you.  But you’d have to be my third or fourth husband – I already have two and I might find another in America.  Is that okay with you?
Officer 2:  Hahaha, yes.  Very good. 
Officer 1:  Here, put this in your bag.  ***He hands me my bag of cosmetics that I had “abandoned” earlier.***
Me:  What?
Officer 1:  It’s no problem.  ***returns to speaking French***   The boss out there by the counter told us to give it back to you so you didn’t have to leave your soap here.  They already marked your bag, so you can put this in now and they won’t re-weigh your bags.  Il n’y a pas de problème.  Ça va.
Me:  OH!  Thank you!   Thank you so much!

I had my cosmetics back, and all I had to do was flirt with the young officers a bit.  (And perhaps, looking really sad and pathetic in front of the check-in counter boss had helped too.)  I was feeling good – a little sweaty from wearing so many layers, but oh well.  Got through security and all, and not a single thing was left behind.  Success!

I returned to the boarding gate waiting area, and a police woman approached me, asked where I was going, and then ushered me to the “Ethiopian Air” waiting area.  But not after first searching my carry-ons (again) and patting me down.  I’m not sure why Ethiopian Air searched everyone before allowing us to enter the roped off waiting area, when we had just come through security.  The people going to Cote d’Ivoire weren’t being searched a second time….  the lady seemed annoyed with me at first (fair enough) but I told her my sob story about finishing Peace Corps and having gifts from my village, and right away she perked up.  She asked me questions about my village, if I spoke any local languages, how I enjoyed my time in Burkina, etc.  She turned out to be really nice and concerned for me (and my carry-ons).  She helped me firmly reattach my “skirts” and stuff my book and travel pillow into my already too full backpack, so that I literally would only carry on my backpack and laptop case, without extra things in my hands and items dangling from my backpack (besides my tennis shoes and flute, which she helped better attach to the backpack with a piece of string).   We chatted until it was time for me board the bus that would take me to the plane, only stopping whenever another female came through the line and thus she was needed to pat the female down --- though females traveling were limited; men outnumbered women by at least 10:1.   We exchanged emails and even took a picture together on her iPhone. 

Finally I was climbing up the steps of the plane, my carry-on straps digging into my neck.  My seat was near the front, 15C, but when I got to the 15’s I was confused to find all the seats taken already.  People were standing behind me, anxious to find their own seats, muttering rude things about the girl (me) just standing in the aisle with her bags, but I wasn’t sure what to do.  I tried to let people pass, but, as we all know, plane aisles are small to begin with.  There’s hardly room for one person to walk, let alone a person wearing a backpack and holding a laptop case while a second person tries to squeeze by, also holding luggage.  Not gonna happen.  “Madame, please find your seat,” said the flight attendant.  Urgh, I just wanted to get rid of my bags, to throw them into the luggage compartment, and maybe take off the excess clothing so I could move more freely.  And then I could deal with this lack of a seat problem.  I looked from left to right; however, it seemed as if all the overhead spaces were full.   In fact, most the plane seats were already filled with impatient people awaiting take-off (my bus had been the last trip between the waiting area and the plane --- there’s no ramp that connects the waiting area directly to the plane entry; you have to ride a bus about 100 meters to the plane and then climb up about 30 steps to board) and so my original thought of “just grab an empty seat” wasn’t gonna work, more than likely every single seat on this plane was assigned to someone. 

The flight attendant directed me to an overhead space ahead, and with a bit or rearranging; I was able to shove my computer into the compartment.  We found another place a few compartments away for my backpack….and all the while people were still waiting behind me.   “Madame, please take your seat now,” said the flight attendant.   I explained that my seat was 15C while simultaneously showing my ticket, and pointing to indicate that all the 15’s were already filled with people……aka someone wasn’t in the right seat.  I heard the large older man waiting directly behind me tell the person behind him in line that this was ridiculous and I was causing problems for everyone.  Not true.  If there just would’ve been some space for me to put my stuff, not to mention a seat to sit in, everything would’ve been just fine.   The flight attendant pushed her way through the line to the 15’s and asked to see all their tickets.  Turns out that TWO of the six people weren’t even 15’s and a third person was in 15A instead of 15D.  Urgh people…..learn to read.  Finally I was in my seat next to the window, a young-ish Burkinabe man was sitting next to me, and a crabby middle-aged white guy was by the aisle.  I took off my skirts and scarves and sweatshirt and relaxed for a few minutes.  Until I realized that I had forgotten my ipod, book, travel pillow, gum, and contact solution in my backpack.  This was a 7-hour flight.  I was definitely going to want these items, and better to get them right away, than to wait til after take-off and then have to wake-up my neighbors so I could get out, in turn causing them to hate me even more. 

The large crabby guy who’d been behind me in line happened to be sitting nearby, and so when I got my backpack down and started to pull out items, such as my book and ipod, he glared at me.  What?  Jeesh, I’m not even bothering you….

The flight itself was fine and the seven hours went by really fast.  I even chatted with my Burkinabe neighbor – turns out he was on his way to China to buy merchandise that he would bring back to Ouagadougou and sell in his store.  He makes this trip twice a year, staying with his friend/acquaintance in China for 3 weeks before flying back to Burkina.  Soon it was time for lunch, but for some reason, I couldn’t understand what the flight attendants were saying...even though they were speaking English.

Lady:  Fish or Chicken?
Me:  Quoi?
Lady:  FISH or CHICK-EN….
Me:  Uh…
Lady:  Do you speak English or français?
Me:  Oui, français.
Lady:  Voulez-vouz le poisson ou le poulet?
Me:  Oh, ok.  Je vais prendre le poulet, s’il vous plait.
***a few minutes later, a different lady comes by***
Lady:  To drink?
Me:  Quoi?
Lady:  Beverage?
Me:  Quoi?  Je n’ai pas compris, pardon.
Lady:  Uh…Water or Coke?  ***she holds up the bottle of water and can of coke***
My Burkinabe neighbor:  Yes.
Lady:  Which one sir?
Neighbor:   Yes.  Uh…l’eau….uh, wah-ter.
Lady:  Here’s your water, sir.  Miss?  What will you have to drink?
Me:  OHHHH!!!!  ***I realize she’s been speaking English the whole time, as was the lady with the food before her….it all makes sense now!****  I’ll have water, please.  And orange juice.  With ice.  Thanks.
Me:  (to my neighbor, in French)  So you can speak English?
Neighbor:   Ha, no no.  I speak English small small.  Just a few words, like water and thank you, that I’ve learned from these airplane rides.  I didn’t finish school so I don’t know much English.
Me:  Yeah, I don’t speak English either anymore…

Naturally, having grown accustomed to eating such delicacies as tô and slimy leaf sauce, I found the plane food to be AMAZING.  I ate every last crumb, and had both tea and coffee with lots of sugar packets during my dessert of packaged coconut cookie.  However, unlike my flight to Italy last year, I did not stoop so low as to ask my neighbors if I could eat their unfinished food.  I wanted to, but, I did realize that I need to start adjusting to normal society again and eating strangers’ half-eaten food is seen as weird by most people…so I refrained. 

Before I knew it, we were in Addis Ababa.  We got off and were herded into the “transfers” area, where we of course had to go through security yet again.  While waiting in line, I conversed with the guys around me.  They were from Ouaga and on their way to Seoul (South Korea) for a business conference, and so we’d be on the same connecting flight to Hong Kong.  All three men were about 40-years-old and didn’t have any carry-ons besides a briefcase/laptop each.  So one man took my computer case, and another took my backpack, and I was left with only my skirts/blankets in my arms.  How convenient!  Plus, this allowed me to board the next plane without a problem, as it looked as if I only had one small carry-on (i.e. my blankets).  It couldn’t have gone any smoother.  We boarded the plane to Hong Kong on time, the flight was only half-full so everyone had plenty of space for storing carry-ons in the overhead compartments, as well as for sitting.  In fact, I had a window seat, plus the two other seats in my row, all to myself.  Since this flight was 11 hours long and “overnight,” I was able to stretch out and sleep soundly a good portion of the 11 hours.  AND, we got fed two delicious meals, plus a snack!  OH YEAH, and we got socks!  Fuzzy yellow socks.  At first I was like, “No way am I wearing handout socks.  Weird.”  But then my feet did start to feel cold and all the Asians on the plane were already wearing their pairs, plus I realized that I couldn’t remember the last time I had even worn socks myself – I wore flip flips EVERY DAY in Burkina – so wearing  fuzzy yellow socks seemed like an appealing idea.  It turned out to be a wonderful idea.  I had forgotten how nice it is to be cold, wear layers, and snuggle up under a blanket(s).

Once in Hong Kong, I had to go the Cathay Pacific ticket counter and get my connecting flight ticket to Manila.  I’m not exactly sure why they couldn’t give me it in Ouaga, but whatever.  I finally find the counter and am grateful the line is only a few people long.  With my flight to Manila boarding in less than an hour, I was worried about finding my gate, arriving late, etc.  So I’m waiting in line.  And waiting .  And waiting.  It’s been about 15 minutes.  By now there’s like 10 people behind me, plus the 2 in front of me who haven’t moved yet either.  The original 3 people are still standing at the 3 counters, and all employees are on the phone and tapping away at the computer.  What is going on?  Why isn’t this line moving?  What are they doing?  Seriously, hurry up.  I start paying attention to what is happening at the counters and eavesdropping.   Well, I mean, it wasn’t hard to eavesdrop.  These people (all of which I assume to be American, based on their smooth English and appearances) were yelling very loudly at the employees, who were doing their best to remain calm and speak clear English.

Lady 1:  I want to talk to your manager!  Now!  Is that him on the line?  Who are you talking to?  Is it him?  Please give me the phone, I need to talk to him, and he needs to explain to me what the problem is and how you’re going to fix it, since you don’t seem to know.
Female Employee 1:   Sorry, mam.  No, not him.  He not available.  Please wait.
Lady 1:  NO!  I will not wait.  I’ve been waiting over hour already.  ONE HOUR.  Right here, in this spot, talking to you.  FOR ONE HOUR.  I’m done!  This is ridiculous.  Give me your manager’s name.  I’m going to report him.  ***lady takes out her iPhone and starts filming the employee***
FE 1:   I very sorry, mam.  Please, you need to put your phone down.  You cannot record ---
Lady 1:  I can’t record you!?!?  But why not?  This is what’s happening…it’s not your fault.  I know that.  But, we need proof that you did everything possible so they don’t blame you.  That’s what’s gonna happen.  They’ll blame you!  So this is proof.  I need you to make a statement; tell me what you said your manager had said on the phone.
FE 1:   No, very sorry, but no.  Not possible.  I not comfortable….
Lady 1:  But it’s the truth isn’t it?  The truth!  You and I, we need proof!
FE 1:   No, I cannot.  Please, you must ask your questions to the manager.  If you can wait here until the manager is free, please, and I will help the other people in line.
Lady 1:  NO.  You listen to me.  I am a customer.  I have paid good money for my ticket, and now you tell me to wait and talk to the manager!?!  I am never taking your airline again!  You are going to fix this situation immediately and ….
Guy 1:   Excuse me.  EXCUSE ME.  Can you please be quiet?  I’m over here, on the phone, trying to get ahold of this same manager, and I’m waiting patiently.  I was here before you were, I have the same problem as you, but yet I’m not screaming at the employees.  It’s not their fault they don’t know anything.  
Lady 1:  You see?  Another problem!  This rude guy is trying to get through to the manager too, and he’s probably the reason our call isn’t going through!  ***points finger at female employee 1***
Guy 1:   Pllleeeeeaaaasssssseeeee.  Stop.  You’re not the only one whose flight got screwed up.
FE 1:   Mam, I found opening to New York on flight in one hour, economy class ---
Lady 1:  NO NO NO!!!  I paid for a business class ticket, direct flight from here to New York.  I will not be sitting in economy.  No way.  You’ll find me a flight that leaves before midnight, that’s direct to New York with no layovers, and with me in a business class seat.  I will not accept economy.  Who do you think I am, treating me like this?  I’m a paying customer, and this is what I get?  Economy class?  You’ve got to be kidding me!
Guy Behind Me in Line:   Oh my god….seriously?  What is her problem?
Different Guy in Line:  Either take economy or get out of the way.  You’re gonna make the rest of us miss our flights!
***security officer ushers an Asian man over to ticket counter***
Male Employee 1:  Hello, sir.  What’s the problem?
Security Officer:  You need to look at his boarding pass…
Asian man:  I don’t know….what to do?  My flight, it leaves in 20 minutes.  I with group.  We go to Israel.  They all on plane, but me, they not let me on plane.  Why?
ME 1:  ***looks at boarding pass and types info into his computer***   Uh, ok.  Um, I’m sorry sir.  Please wait.  There seems to be a problem with your registration code.  ***makes a phone call, probably to the manager, who seems to be MIA***
Asian man:  But what do I do?  I going to miss plane.  My friends are waiting for me.
Security Officer:  You’ll be fine.  Just wait here.
ME 1:  ***with phone on his shoulder, motions to the couple in front of me in line***  Yes, okay, here you are, everything looks good on my computer.  So here are your boarding passes, go upstairs, gate 34 is in Terminal 2.  Hurry, it is boarding now. Thank you.
***Guy 1 is still “waiting” on the phone for the manager with an employee standing next to him, the Asian man is looking at his watch every 30 seconds after which he turns to me to smile and say, “This not good.  They not help.  That lady, she distract them,” referring to the crazy Lady 1 who won’t accept the economy replacement ticket and is pacing in front of the counter while her counter’s employee is frantically trying to figure something out.  The male employee goes over to help the coworker at the third counter, who has question.  The third counter has been occupied this entire time by yet another lady, but at least she’s not yelling….I’m starting to get really nervous about whether or not I’m even going to make my flight, because I’ve been standing in a non-moving line for almost 30 minutes now.***

Asian man:  Now my flight leave.  I miss it.  So now what?  You tell me to wait, and tell me everything will be fine, but you not help.  Now I have no plane.  I paid $1500 to go to Israel with my friends.  But I not get to go.  I wait here.  I do not know why.
ME 1: I’m sorry sir.  Very sorry.  We’ll be with you in a minute.  Let me help some of these passengers who’ve been waiting in line first, so they don’t miss their flights also.
Lady 1:  You know what, sir?  Now you know better.  Never take this airline again.  Tell all your friends.  All this airline does is cause problems and then try to “fix” them by ripping you off and giving you economy instead of business like you paid big bucks for.
Guy 1:   Hellooooo, could you keep it down.  I’m trying to hear if someone picks up the phone or not.
***ME 1 motions to me; I give him my passport and online itinerary.***
ME 1: Alright.  No problems.  Here you go.  Next, please.
Me:  Wait, excuse me.  What gate is my flight boarding at?  It doesn’t say….and at what time?.....
ME 1:  Uhhh….. ***fiddles with is computer***  I do not know.  It’s not listed yet.  It’s possible it will be canceled.  Lots of flights are being canceled.  Just go to Gate 21, that’s the main Cathay Pacific Gate, and ask someone there.

I had my boarding pass, a good start.  As I went through security, and then into the airport terminals, I tried to walk as fast as I could, all while carrying my 50-pound carry-ons, of course.  Within 10 minutes of speed walking, I was tired and sweaty, and my shoulder ached.  But I was only at Gate 12. The airport clocks said 4:15pm, which meant that my flight, originally scheduled for takeoff at 5:05pm, was just starting to board – maybe.  It still wasn’t listed on any of the big arrival and departure screens.  Actually, it was listed, it just didn’t have a time or gate by it.  All the other flights had times/gates listed, and if not, a big red CANCELED was listed.  (There were a lot of canceled flights.  I was beginning to suspect that something was going on….)  I finally plopped myself down into a chair in front of Gate 21, which was now listing my flight with an “anticipated” boarding time of 5:30pm.  Hmm, interesting.   As I thought about it and noticed the more-than-normal chaos around the airport, in addition to the numerous cancelations, I recalled that upon landing on my flight from Addis Ababa, we had flown over a whole bunch of boats and ships in the harbors.  They were all lined up neatly (not docked, but rather positioned out in the water), and had yellow and red lights blinking.  It also was rather dreary and rainy out.  A flight attendant came over and asked to see our boarding passes, and she would respond with “Okay” to some people (like me) and “Please go to ticket counter” to other people.  Something was definitely up.

Later, upon arriving in Manila, I was informed that a typhoon was approaching (or had already hit?) Hong Kong, and that all flights had been cancelled for the night.  My flight to the Philippines was one of the last flights that got out.  Whew!  Lucky me!   I don’t think I would have enjoyed camping out overnight in the Hong Kong airport during a typhoon, especially after already having endured over 24 hours of travel.

Once my flight took off to Manila, only about 2 hours behind schedule, it was smooth sailing.  It was the nicest (and biggest) plane I had ever been on, probably holding over 350 people.  We each had our own screen on the seat in front of us and could watch movies and TV show series; listen to music; play Chess, Sudoku, hangman; and more.  So many options!  If this would have been a 10-hour flight instead of the 1.5 that it was, I don’t think I would have slept a wink.  I’d have stayed up the entire time, being mesmerized by all the TV shows and movies I have yet to see, as well as by playing chess, a game that I only recently learned to play (A big merci to Gregory K!  Someday I’ll beat ya!).

Going through customs was easy; they hardly even looked at my passport and they definitely didn’t look at my bags.  As I left the airport and crossed the street to where I was expecting to meet Jacque Olson, all the Filipinos shouted, “Nice hair!” and “I like your hair, mam!”  I guess seeing someone with tons of little braids with beads attached at the ends, wearing African jewelry and clothing was pretty weird and attention-drawing. 

At last, I spotted Jacque and before I knew it, my luggage was loaded up into her friend’s car and we were driving away, into the Philippine night.  It had rained a lot (blame the “nearby” typhoon?) and so some of the roads were flooded.  We finally got to Jacque’s apartment, did some initial chatting, ate some supper, and then went to bed.  With my long flights, plus time zone changes, it was currently around 9pm, Sunday, September 22.  (It would have been around 2pm in Burkina, so I was actually “ahead” on sleep, but since it was nighttime in Manila and travel is exhausting, I had no objections to going to bed!)


No comments:

Post a Comment