Saturday, November 2, 2013

A Month in Manila: Week TWO (continued)

Week 2 (continued) – The weekend (Around the Town)
Friday, October 4 – Sunday, October 6

Friday:    Friday morning found me getting ready to go out and spend a day checking out the city of Manila.  Since Phil was sorta an expert on Manila and Philippine travel and food (compared to little ol’ me who’d been sheltered at Faith Academy and the birthing clinic for almost two weeks!), he’d invited me to go with him, see some “real” Manila, eat delicious (and cheap!) street food, and check out an orphanage he’d been interested in volunteering at.  As I didn’t have a clue what I was doing, he had given me specific directions on how to get to wherever it was we were going – which happened to be one of the many SM City Malls in Manila (sorta the equivalent of a Target store, but a mall).  I was supposed to take a jeepney to SM, but Jacque wasn’t sure if it was actually possible, plus I would have had to walk like 1.5 miles to the other side of her closed living community to get to the highway where jeepneys ran.  Hence, I ended up taking a taxi and shelling out about $5 instead of 50 cents to get to my destination.  Oh well.  At least I was safe and the driver would for sure take me to the correct place.  With a jeepney, I’d need to know when to yell, “Stop!” and jump off, and then probably walk a couple blocks to the SM.   I left plenty early to make sure I’d make it to SM by 9am, when I was supposed to meet Phil at the Starbucks right next to the SM main entrance.   Traffic had gone so smoothly, that I arrived around 8:30am.  No problem.  I got my book.  I got my notebook/journal that I should really update.  And there’s a Starbucks.  Don’t mind if I do have a venti-sized blended café mocha with an extra shot and whipped cream, and a bagel with cream cheese (cream cheese!!!!).   Don’t mind if I do….  

To my horror, as I approached the Starbucks, the security officer said, “Good Morning ma’am.  Starbucks not open yet.  At 10am.  You’re very early.”   NOOOOOO.   I want my coffee!  (I never was a coffee person in the USA…and I’m still not….not really, anyways.  I’m not an addict, that’s for sure.  I don’t NEED coffee.  I just like it.  I don’t know what happened since I was last in America.  Now I love it.  Blame it on Burkina and fake instant Nescafé and real but gross coffee that tastes like dirt.  So now everything tastes amazing!  Plus, coffee shops are just such a cool atmosphere.   Music.  Calm.  Good smells.  Comfy couches.  Maybe that’s what I’ll do when I get back to Minnesota.  Start a coffee shop and bakery.  I always did think it’d be fun to work as a barista….).  

As a backup plan, I decided to check out the mall for a bit, to kill some time until Phil showed up.  But, alas, the mall didn’t open until 10am either.  What is this?!?  TEN O’CLOCK?!?  That’s practically noon!  What about morning coffee?  What about all those early-risers who want to be out and about by 7am.  Gosh, by 10am, I’ve generally been up for about 4 hours and done enough stuff to merit a mid-morning snack and possibly also a nap.  Seriously, what is the world coming to, not opening business and shopping centers until the ridiculously late time of 10am?  Preposterous.

So the venti-sized blended café mocha with an extra shot and whipped cream wasn’t going to happen, nor was the bagel smothered in cream cheese.  I settled on reading my book on a table right outside the Starbucks and I texted Phil to let him know I was (already) there, in hopes that maybe he’d hurry up and leave sooner too. 

About 30 minutes later, I receive another message from Phil: 
Phil:  at starbucks now.  where u at?
Me:  im at starbucks, sittin outside. 
Phil:  where did u go?  i don’t see u.  i went outside.
Me:  uhh….?  maybe theres more than one starbucks at this SM?  or did I screw up and go to the wrong mall?
Phil:  hold on a few minutes…. don’t move.
Phil:  BWHAHAHA.  I went 2 the wrong SM.  im at Marikina, I’ll b over 2 ur SM in a few.  stay there.

Whew.  I had been getting nervous, thinking I was at the wrong mall, I wouldn’t be able to get to where Phil was, would just get more and more lost in Manila, kidnapped, etc.….  Good to know that, like usual, I wasn’t in the wrong and was indeed where I was supposed to be.

Phil showed up soon after, and Starbucks opened, so I got my coffee and bagel after all! Then we made our way to Gentle Hands Orphanage.  Learning about how the orphanage functions, its rules, and its philosophy on how to “raise” children and prepare them for adoption was very eye-opening.  For example, this particular orphanage, contrary to most other homes, does not allow volunteers to play with or hold any of the children under age 4. These young children have one primary caregiver that takes care of them 6 out of the 7 days of the week, and if it’s not their primary caregiver, then it’s always the same secondary caregiver.  This is in order to help the child develop an attachment bond.  Babies who never knew their mother or were abused or abandoned at a young age have major issues with trusting an adult (or anyone) and creating a relationship with a caregiver, which in turn, can result in further complications as the child becomes a teenager and adult, even if they are adopted into a loving family.  Thus, in order to help children become “more adoptable,” if you will, they need to have one and only one “mom” as a baby, even in the orphanages.  Consequently, volunteers (unless they are going to be there for at least a year) do not do anything except smile and wave to the youngsters – volunteers, rather, generally assist more with the elementary school children and teenagers.  I had been looking forward to playing with the babies, but after Gentle Hands’ philosophy was explained, I understood and was okay with just walking through the baby and toddler rooms and greeting the caregivers.  Rooms, just filled with babies.  10 or 12 cribs, two babies a crib.  Babies in high chairs eating, babies in caregiver arms being consoled, babies on blankets napping, babies on the floor crawling and playing with toys.  So many babies.  And only a couple caregivers for them all.  The toddler room wasn’t much different, except for that it was naptime when we passed and each toddler was down on his/her own little mattress.

Gentle Hands takes a lot of special cases, including transfers from other orphanages, like children with handicaps, drug babies, malnourished and dying infants, etc.  Also, a lot of sibling groups.  It’s not uncommon to find a group of 3, 4, even 6 or 7 children living together on the street, no idea where their parents are, or where their house is, or even what their names are.  One family we learned about was discovered in a shack by the river, clearly malnourished, starving, abused, the mother somewhat present, but a drug addict with other mental issues.  There were 6 children, all under age 7 (though no records of birth dates could be found), including a newborn who appeared to have down’s syndrome.  When they were found, they were covered in feces – apparently the mother had abused them in various ways, including shoving feces in their faces.  This family group was immediately taken into care and is recovering well, gaining weight, adjusting socially, acquiring communication skills.  In fact, because they had no known names (first or last), a ceremony was held just a few days ago, “giving” each child his/her new (or maybe first-ever) name.  The older siblings were so excited to finally have a name, and would immediately respond if someone called for them: “Juan!  Hannah!  Angel!”  However, the next problem in the recovery process for this family (or any child at all) is the question of adoption.  Fortunately, since the mother was “present” in their lives and could be “found,” the kids were able to be signed over to state custody immediately, making them eligible to be adopted.  Sadly, kids who are actually abandoned, with no traceable family, often can NOT be adopted because they are not technically wards of the state, and, theoretically, a parent or family member could show up or be found at any time and claim custody of the child.  So these kids are the ones who spend their lives in the orphanages, or at least for 4-5 years, before the state can declare them a ward and legally open them up for adoption, which is a process that will still take another 2-4 years, if they are lucky enough to find a family who wants to adopt an older child at all.

So this specific family can be adopted as soon as they finish “recovering” physically and their papers clear (usually takes about a year)…..but who’s going to adopt SIX kids?  Especially one with down’s syndrome?  Sure, sometimes a child with special needs does find a home, and sometimes a family takes in a group of 2 or 3 siblings….but SIX and special needs?  Yeah right.   Families who can find it in their hearts to take on a child with medical issues or more than one child or an older child who is capable of remembering a previous life of abuse are one in a million.  I certainly understand why a family looking to adopt would opt to choose a healthy baby, or just one young child, and I don’t fault them in the least for that decision.  However, what is an orphanage to do with a sibling group like this?  Time will tell, but these kids really need a special family and a lot of prayers, if they are to stay together and ever be adopted into one family. 

Here’s Gentle Hands’ website, if you’d like to learn more about what they do and how you can help.  http://gentlehandsinc.org/



However, do realize that this is just one of MANY organizations in the Philippines (and throughout the entire world, America included) where children are in need of love and a home.  I liked what I saw at Gentle Hands, but I am also sure that there are plenty of other equally-loving temporary homes for children that deserve recognition for their hard work as well.

After we had had our tour and two-hour philosophical discussion/chat with the orphanage directors, Phil turned to me and asked, “Wanna adopt one with me?”    To which I replied, “No.  I wanna adopt six.”    Maybe someday…

Following the orphanage, Phil and I rode a rainbow-painted, music-blaring, party-happening jeepney to get ourselves to a large local market.  There’s nothing like taking an over-crowded mode of public transport, wind blowing in your face (in addition to some pollution/smog/exhaust fumes), and a techno cover of “Hark! The Herald Angels Sing” blasting so loud that you can’t even hear the person next to you.  What a great way to go to work every morning.  If that doesn’t wake you up, I don’t know what would….

At the market, sampling the various yummy types of street food was on my to-do list, including a fresh coconut blended with ice smoothie.  We saw tens of tables dedicated to colorful fruits and vegetables, herbs, spices, soy sauces and vinegars.  In another building were tables covered in animal pieces and blood, the butchers standing behind the table with an oversized knife in each hand, anxious to take your order.  De-feathered, dead chickens hung by strings attached to their feet, tied to the lower ceiling beams.  They swayed back and forth, ever so slightly.  And of course, flies buzzed everywhere.  Crates and crates of eggs were nearby, some small (quail), others large (duck), and still others with purple shells -- these were hard-boiled and salted in the inside somehow; they were pretty, but I didn’t like the taste and I couldn’t bring myself to finish it.  Which is weird, considering I’ve eaten some pretty bizarre things in Africa and now have no taste buds and thus can eat most anything without a problem.  But apparently not this salted egg.  Fail.  I was ashamed of myself.

And then there was the seafood section.  Wow!  And I thought the meat section was vast.  As far as I could see, it was table after table of fish, shrimp, squid, clams, crab, eels, and more.   An insane amount of diversity amongst the different varieties of seafood, but especially the fishes – pink, blue, white, rainbow; short and fat, skinny and long; some were so small you could hold a 100 in your hand at once; others were so large that three men were needed to lift it from the ice chest to the top of the table.  All the seafood was packed on ice to help it stay fresh, and the cement floor of the entire building was wet, due to all the melting ice and the water used to clean the fish.  I had to walk through several puddles that were at least a couple inches deep, and I congratulated myself for the well-made decision to wear my Chaco’s that morning.  Thank goodness I wasn’t wearing my leather sandals….    Also, contrary to what you might think, the seafood (and meat) sections did not smell bad.  Sure, maybe it smelled fishy, but not in a bad way.  The odors in these sections were quite tolerable, especially considering the sheer number of dead creatures that were present.

Post market adventures, drinks were called for in an air-conditioned restaurant at a nearby mall to celebrate our successful day of wandering around Manila and only getting lost a few times.  The beer was good and not too costly (about 60 pesos, or about $1.50 for a half-liter bottle), but considering I’ve become accustomed to full LITER bottles of beer for 600 CFA ($1.20) in Burkina Faso, and multiple ones per sitting at that, the ½ liter serving in Manila seemed rather tiny and expensive.   We enjoyed our marienda (Tagalog word for snack) of beer in the chilly restaurant (beer is a snack, right?), a much welcomed break from the hot sun we had endured all morning and most the afternoon. 

For supper, we went back out to the streets and found a “nice” looking local restaurant, where food was bound to be significantly cheaper (and probably tastier, too!).   I had a bar/cake/piece(?) of sweet-sticky rice.  From a distance, it looked like a brownie or maybe a chocolate rice krispie bar.  It was pretty good and definitely satisfied my sweet tooth.  I guess the sweet-sticky rice was my dessert, but it seemed more like an appetizer, as I had eaten it before my main meal came of fried fish balls in a red sweet-and-spicy sauce with green bell peppers, all over rice.  Very tasty!  A little spicy – my mouth was on fire which resulted in me drinking a whole pitcher of water – but tasty, nonetheless.  Also, it was a lot of food; I ended up taking about half of it home.  All this, for the grand total of $3.50.  What a deal!

I got home by taking a jeepney all by myself to the Valley Golf entrance, and I was quite proud of this accomplishment: taking local public transport on my own, like an independent, integrated, and culturally adapted person.   No more taxis for this girl!  Besides, jeepneys are so much more fun!  The party music, the over-crowdedness, the sketchiness and potentially unsafeness… all for the practically free cost of 12 pesos (25 cents), as opposed to a taxi which is bound to cost at least 250 pesos ($6) and most definitely will not be blaring techno music.   I was almost home!  I now just needed to catch a taxi to go the relatively short distance of about 2 km into the Valley Golf living community to get me to Jacque’s apartment.  Since it was dark and the road isn’t the most traveled (it’s a residential area, not a business district) I was not going to be walking --- I needed a taxi.  Unfortunately no taxis came by, and those who did always had passengers already.  Urgh.  I ended up waiting almost 45 minutes on the corner of the road until a taxi finally stopped for me.  By the time I got back to Jacque’s I was more than tired out from my day’s adventures and was ready for a good night’s rest.


Saturday:   At 8am, Sam, a friend of Jacque’s, picked me up and we went to a nearby orphanage that she volunteers at each Saturday morning.  It was much smaller than Gentle Hands, and its policies were a bit different, so they had no problem with Sam coming and holding babies every Saturday, or me coming only this one time.  They put me right to work in the baby room, where there were six children under 9 months of age.  Pearl and Michaela were super cute, with heads full of hair and smiles constantly plastered to their faces; they were also the oldest, so they loved to play.  Sometimes with each other, sometimes with the caregiver, and sometimes they were content completely by themselves as long as they had a toy or their toes.  They were starting to figure out how to crawl, which meant they were getting into things and the door of the nursery had to be closed at all times.  Sam said that they would probably be moved to the “toddler” room in a month or two, depending on space availability and if any additional infants came in.  The youngest baby was Matthew who had arrived a week earlier.  They weren’t for sure about his age, but said he was currently probably about two weeks old.  As Sam and I played with him and gave him his bottles, we decided that he HAD to be older than 2-weeks.  Sure, he was tiny – he was even smaller than the babies I had seen who were only a few days old – but he made good eye contact and did a few other things that suggested he was probably older than everyone originally thought and closer to a month in age.  It wouldn’t be surprising if he was born prematurely or even born full-term but just lacked a lot of nutrition, due to his mother not feeding him or not having healthy habits herself during her pregnancy (drugs, alcohol, malnutrition, etc.).  But, we’ll never know, as he was an abandoned baby found outside a church, without any clue as to his name, birth date, his parents….

Playing with babies until noon was exhausting.  I don’t know how the caregiver works in that room ALL day, almost every day of the month, by herself, with six (and sometimes more!) little babies to look after, feed, change, hold.  I was totally ready for a nap by the time we left, and I ended up not doing much the rest of the day either.



 Sunday:  Being it was Sunday, Jacque and I went to church.  However, it was a different protestant church from the previous Sunday, and we rode with Mark.  I don’t remember which church this was specifically, but I can tell you that it was in Makati, a rich business area of Manila about an hour drive from Valley Golf, the community where Jacque (and most teachers at Faith) lives.  I found it so strange and kinda demoralizing to drive for an hour just to get to church, but I suppose that is partly what big city life is comprised of – enduring a lot of slow traffic, only to get to a place that is just a few kilometers down the road and probably could have been reached faster had you walked or biked, rather than drove your car.  The church service was alright; as per usual Filipino worship, the music was quite commendable.  Also, as per usual, there was a lot of “saving your soul” mentioned.

Post church, we went to Starbucks for a bible study that turned into learning more about Burkina Faso than about the day’s scripture readings, and then we wandered to a nearby outdoor market.  Jewelry, scarves, coconut shell dishes, food, bags, and more!  I tried this tasty millet bar dipped in hot, native Filipino chocolate sauce.  Generally this sort of treat, whatever it’s called I forget, is made with sticky rice that’s been mushed up into a smooth consistency and flavors are added to it, like mango jelly, ube (grape), or brown sugar.  So it’s soft and kinda gooey, but firm enough to hold its shape and be eaten with your hands.  My particular treat was made with millet, and since millet grain is so small to begin with, it just had coconut flavor and sugar added right to it, giving an interesting texture of tiny little balls/grains left intact.  It was wrapped in a green banana leaf, and as you ate it, you pushed up from the bottom so that more of the “tube” or bar of millet would rise above the top of the banana leaf wrapper, similar to a push-up ice cream treat, if any of you remember eating those.  The native chocolate sauce was good, and not very sweet at all – more bitter than anything.  But that’s what made it so delightful: it perfectly complemented and balanced the sweetness of the millet.  Unquestionably a dollar well spent.

After church, Starbucks, and the market, Jacque and I went over to Mark’s for a potluck lunch/dinner (it was about 3pm, so lunner, perhaps?), made cookies for our vacation to Bohol, packed our bags, and made sure flight details and transportation to the airport was in line.  Then we hung out in the apartment complex’s pool; Daisy and Mark joined us, and we all fantasized about how in less than 24 hours we’d be on a beach in Bohol!


No comments:

Post a Comment