Saturday, November 2, 2013

Sarah Visits the BF! Aventures 1 - 5

Sarah Visits the BF!
Monday, May 27 – Thursday, June 13, 2013


Aventure 1: Le voyage à Ouaga

Sunday, the 26th of May, had been the final day of Camp HEERE.  We sent the campers home around 5pm (“Go home!  No, you can’t stay here.  Camp est fini!  Leave!  Now!  Il faut partir à la maison tout de suite, or the tubabus will start to throw rocks at you….seriously.”), did some cleaning up around the CEG (“meh, let’s just throw everything into the storage room so stuff doesn’t blow away and we’ll deal with it tomorrow…”), and then we all turned ourselves in for the night by sitting together outside the CEG on our plastic nattes, enjoying a few beers, and eating some snacks.  The fourteen of us were too exhausted to do anything else after a week filled with camp preparations and wrangling children.  Here are more photo highlights, in case you forgot (or never read) my original post about Camp HEERE.
Boom!  Counselor shot!

Awesome enthusiam, Rachel and Jason!  Thanks for singing and doing the actions with the kids!

Gregory, our photographer!





Tug o War!   Fight!  Pull!  Be stronger!!!!  Les hippopotemes!!!


Cutest baby ever.  Baby Susanah.  So adorable!  (Her mom was a volunteer who helped cook and teach about handwashing)

Just relaxin' outside the "counselor" room.
Michael enjoying the dust storm.  Elijah working in the dust storm.  The rain would hit soon!

It rained.  Awesome photo by Gregory.


Our group shot in color.

After the rain storm.

Lauren, Molly, and I danced in the rain.  Then we were wet.

Camp is finished!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!




But while everyone else was unwinding, I was occupied being stressed out. 

One of my best friends, Sarah Jensen, was supposed to be arriving in Ouagadougou the next day to visit the BF (where BF stands for Best Friend….as well as Burkina Faso.  Ha, I’m so clever!), so obviously I needed to get to Ouaga to pick her up at the airport, not to mention that I also needed to throw together a backpack of clothes and important stuff like my passport, bank cards, paperwork for the bureau, etc. and make sure that my house was somewhat in order and not a total disaster area for when Sarah and I arrived back in my village.  Plus, there was camp stuff to take care of, such as finishing the budget, organizing the receipts, paying for the rest of the food and other materials that we had not yet given money for…..  In an ideal world, I would have had the next day or two to do all of this, and following the closure of Camp HEERE, I could have celebrated a successful camp and relaxed a bit with the rest of my friends.   But no.  It was just my luck that everything was happening at once and it all needed to happen NOW – it couldn’t be postponed until next week (Sarah and I would be traveling around Burkina), nor could it wait until after Sarah left (too far after the closure of Camp HEERE and paperwork needed to be turned in).  Thus, everything had to be in order before I left for Ouaga early the next morning (4am) so that Molly and the rest of the gang could easily take care of the closing tasks without my being present. 

Instead of getting a few hours of shut-eye that night, I was up, miserably going through all receipts and making sure everything checked out.  Since I was in charge of the food budget for camp and had all the receipts, I was the one who needed to deal with it.  I couldn’t leave it for my friends – they would have had an awful time trying to figure out what everything meant and what items were for what meals, and which people had been paid already and those who had simply been given a partial advance and thus still needed money….. what a headache.   I had to finish, but all I wanted to do was sleep.  Eventually I got “done enough” and was able to leave everything in a somewhat organized manner for my friends to deal with in the morning, assisted by the list I had written them: 
1) pay Salimata 15 mille for bread
2) give keys for canteen back to CEG director; make sure the 2 largest marmites are put back inside first
3) put boxes A and B in Beth’s house; C and D go to the library
4) ask Careth if the 4 mille she spent on string for the mosquito nets was her own money or camp money (whose? How much did we give her?  Did we get change back?), and if her own money, was she was already reimbursed with camp money and by who?
4) receipts in envelope 1 are breakfast purchases; envelope 2 is morning snack, envelope 3 is noon meal……. 
5) .......etc. etc. etc.

Maybe I’m a bit OCD, but I just wanted everything to be done correctly and be easy for them to accomplish without too many questions.  The detailed budgets and explanations of everything that need to be turned into the bureau for a “grant completion report” are ridiculous and OCD (though, from a bureaucratic standpoint, understandable and necessary) and that’s why I was being so OCD and ridiculous myself….

4:00am rolled around far too soon and my homologue showed up with his moto.  Molly’s homo, Abdulaye, also showed up with his bike in order to transport Gregory, who also needed to get to Ouaga because he was flying home the next day to Washington (state) and then Bolivia, for a 2-week visit/vacation.  Gregory and I grabbed our backpacks, hopped on our respective motos, and away we sped into the night to Tougan, where we would catch the 6am bus to Ouaga.

***Now that I’m no longer a current Peace Corps Volunteer as I post this, I don’t have to worry about being kicked out of country for my “delinquent” behavior, and so I can say it:  I rode a moto.  Yes.  Yes, I did indeed ride a moto.  A couple different times throughout my service, in fact.  Yes, I do realize that it is interdit à monter une moto sans permission officielle, sauf un cas d’urgence…..  but sometimes there just isn’t another viable choice.  Sure, I was scared to death the first time I rode a moto (Augustin drove me about 5km to Gouron to catch the midnight express to Bobo – in my defense, my bike tire was flat; also I didn’t want to take my bike to Bobo anyways…) but after a few times on a moto, I learned to relax and didn’t feel the desire to clutch onto the seat (or the person driving) with a death grip.  Other trips on a moto include Salimata Sanago driving me to look at various fields, the abandoned “Education des mille filles” (Education of One Thousand Girls) schools near Niassan and Di, and an all-female association’s rice production and packaging center; Abu Toe picking me up on the side of the road and taking me back to village after my bus broke down for the millionth time about 20km away from my village and I was so angry I was about ready to murder the bus slackey boys and driver; and a few other times that I no longer recall.

Gregory and I arrived to Tougan about an hour later, ahead of schedule, and so we drank some warm café au lait and ate du pain while we waited for our 6am bus.  Soon the bus was loaded and we were ready to go.  The coffee had perked both of us up, so we were now wide awake and launched into a good discussion during our bus ride.  From where/how we grew up (Gregory grew up in Bolivia), to our adventures and projects in Burkina thus far (I was nearing the end of my service; G was still in his first year), to my reign as the 2006 Minnesota Beef Queen, I think we talked about it all.  Not sure why or how the Beef Queen thing really came up, but it really impressed G.  He was jealous.  He really likes meat, specifically eating it, and in particular, beef, and he couldn’t believe that I got to spend a whole year representing the beef industry, grilling steaks, sampling new cuts of meat, and teaching kids about nutrition and beef by-products.  He said being a beef queen (or king?) would be his dream job.   Yeah, I suppose wearing a shiny tiara and a leather sash labeled “Queen” all while eating a juicy cheeseburger probably would be a lot of people’s dream job.

I happened to be sitting next to the window on our bumpy bus ride, and after a couple hours of intense conversation with G, I dozed off, only to be awoken by drops of rain on my face.

Me:  Urgh, it’s raining.  I’m getting wet.
Gregory:  Uh….I don’t think it’s raining out.  Look at the other windows.  They’re all dry.
Me:  …..?..... then why am I wet……?  See!  There’s another few drops!
G:  Well….my guess is that the goats on top of the bus are relieving themselves…
Me:  Ewwww……that’s just my luck.
***Burkinabe buses, especially those that went between Ouaga and Tougan, were always jankety and questionable and falling apart, due to the horrible condition of the road (or lack thereof).  Sometimes the seats weren’t attached.  Sometimes the door had to be tied shut with a piece of string.  Sometimes the windows were broken or rusted into place or just completely non-existent.  This particular bus wasn’t too bad overall, with the exception of a few missing windows.  Where we were sitting, there was only one of the two windows that shoulda been there.  This lone window was centered in the middle of the open window frame space, so that both my seat and the seat in front of me had a portion of the window, but also about a 10-inch gap of no window.  And it was in this 10-inch gap that the mysterious “rain” was falling.
G:  Maybe we can close the window.  That might help.
Me:  Yeah, good idea.
***I pull the lonely, singular window my way, so that my portion of the open window space is now completely covered by the plastic window.  The young well-dressed woman wearing a fancy weave in front of me turns around and gives me a death glare.  She now has a lot of wind and dust hitting her directly, not to mention a few drops of mystery liquid as well.  She grabs the window and pulls it completely all the way back to her side, so that I’m now the one getting smacked in the face with all the wind and dust and “rain.” 
G:  Wow.  Huh.  I can’t believe she just did that.  Usually women are so passive here.  Plus, you’re the tubabu.  I woulda thought that she woulda left you alone.  Or that someone else, like one of the men near us, would have offered you their seat, in return for you becoming their third wife, of course….   Well, it’s not fair for you to have no window, so you should at least pull it back half-way again.  She should be able to handle sharing.
***I slowly pull the window back part of the distance, but the woman notices, again gives me a death glare, and yanks the window to her side again.  Apparently she wasn’t interested in sharing the window.  Everyone around us laughs; some were probably laughing at me, but I think most were laughing at the crabby woman.
Me:  Uh….? Now what?
G:  Do you wanna switch spots?
Me:  No, I’m fine.  Just let me scoot over a bit so I’m not touching the window.
***I shift over to the left, closer to Gregory, in hopes that I’ll stop getting hit with droplets, but with the wind, the drops are still able to come into the window and land on me.  I then proceed to hold my pagne up to the window, creating a mock umbrella to help me stay dry.   I try to take a nap, but for obvious reasons, I can’t.
G:  Okay, time’s up.  It’s my turn now to sit next to the window.  Also, I need to be a gentleman, and so it is my duty to switch places with you.
Me:  No, it’s fine.
G:  No it’s not.
Me:  No, really.
G:  Yes.  Get up.  That’s a command.  I’m not asking you, I’m telling you.   Now move, girl!
Me:  Well….k fine.  If you insist.

We got to Ouaga before noon, which was amazingly fast, considering that we first left around 6am and that the bus I normally take to Ouaga leaves my village around 7am and doesn’t pull into Ouaga until 5pm (or later) because it has to go the long way through Ouahigouya to pick up more passengers.  (Though I’m not sure why we “need” to tack on the extra couple hours north to Ouahigouya, since the bus is always already overfull by Tougan, and there is NEVER room for more passengers in Ouahigouya, and no ever gets off there either, everyone goes to Ouaga ….oh Burkina, some things just don’t make sense here.)  

We were in Ouaga, but Ouaga is a big city (the capital city), and so the bus had to make a few pit stops before stopping at its final destination, the gare routière, where we passengers could disembark.  Primarily, the goats needed to be dropped off.  We were pulled over on the side of the highway, and within minutes a couple guys with a taxi moto showed up.  Someone climbed to the top of the bus and started throwing down the goats.  Yes, just throwing down live goats, like one would toss down a piece of luggage.  Not handing the goats into the hands of someone on the ground, but literally throwing.  One of the other guys was on the ground catching the goats and putting them into the taxi moto’s crate, and a third guy was arranging the goats and sorta tying them down to the taxi moto so that they couldn’t jump out or fall out once the taxi moto sped away to take the goats to their place of slaughter.  Poor goats.  And to make matters worse, they cry like children.  (Peut-être, that’s why a baby goat is called a “kid” --- they seriously sound just like human kids whining and crying.)  Ear-piercing shouts of “Moooooommmmm!  Maaaaaaaaaaaa!  Moooooooommm!” seemed to fill the air. 

As the goat unloading progressed, I counted the goats and was impressed to notice that our bus roof had actually been holding over 30 goats during our trip.  Oh, and a couple sheep, nine motos, three large crates of chickens, and two medium sized bulls (as in a cow, but male….so not a cow, but rather, a bull…..).  “What the --- !  How did they even get those cows up there?” Gregory exclaimed.  “You mean bulls? Yeah I dunno.  Maybe just pulled them up with a rope…?”  To get these two bulls down, the men had tied a couple ropes around each bull, and then slowly lowered the bull to the ground, and the whole time the bull was bumping/scraping against the side of bus, but otherwise seemed to be doing alright.  Unlike some of the goats.  Who were definitely dead.  They didn’t scream bloody murder with cries of “Moooooommmm!” and weren’t moving.  I can only make the logical jump that they were no longer alive…    

Gregory seconded my thoughts and nonchalantly assessed the situation:  “Yeahhhhh….those goats are gone…..look at their necks, just flopped over like that.  Oh, and all the blood coming from that one over there!  Oh man, that’s horrible!  Check out the goat they just put on the ground; look at its cut-up head; it’s still alive; someone needs to put it out of its misery; it looks like its leg is broken too…..”

Finally we were able to get off at the bus station and take a taxi to the transit house.


Aventure 2:  Je cherche Sarah à l’aéroport

I arrive at the transit house and proceed like a death rocket to take care of some things before Sarah’s anticipated arrival of 2:30pm – I had about two hours to find us a cheap hotel room, check my email, make copies of some documents, and shower.  The showering probably should have been my number one priority, but I figured I could always shower after picking Sarah up…. She might not appreciate that, but it’d be fine.  All the hotels my friends had recommended me ended up being full and the internet was horribly slow at the bureau and the copier out of paper so all my attempts of getting some stuff done failed.  I ran back to the transit house, rinsed off, threw on clean clothes, grabbed my hairbrush and some jewelry and my money, oh and my phone, and hopped into Ishmael’s car, my taxi to the airport.  Oh no, I hope Sarah’s plane didn’t come in on time, I hope she’s not waiting for me, hopefully the plane is late – aren’t arrivals to Ouaga are always late? – even if she’s already landed, she probably hasn’t finished going through customs yet, right?  I brushed my wet hair and put on my jewelry and even some makeup in the taxi, all the while wishing Ishmael would drive faster.  Not that he was driving slow by any means.  Oh no.  He passed every single vehicle on the road, and spent a good portion of our voyage on the wrong side of the road, blaring his horn to warn oncoming traffic to get out of the way, a typical Burkinabe driving technique. 

We get to the Aéroport de Ouagadougou and I run inside.  Ishmael follows close behind me.  I glance around, see no Sarah, notice that an electronic departure/arrival sign has been installed since my last visit to the airport eight months earlier, and notice that none of the afternoon flights had come in yet.  Oh good.  I’m not late.

Ishmael and I wait and wait.  And wait some more.  Thirty minutes pass.  Then an hour.  I realize there are two other young white guys standing near me who are definitely not Peace Corps, but as I eavesdropped on them, I heard them speak English like Americans, and so I concluded they were more than likely from the good ol’ USA.  I go up to them and say hi and ask where they’re from and what they’re doing in Burkina…  They were from America (different states) and picking up a new volunteer (arriving on the same flight as Sarah) for the mission that they were all volunteering at for the summer – CRS, Catholic Relief Services.  Suffice it to say that they were also Catholic and, as it turns out, a lot younger than me.  One guy was 20 and the other was 18 and the girl they picked up was 19.  Gosh, I cannot judge age anymore.  I would’ve sworn that they were my age, like mid-20-somethings.  Not teenagers.  I was impressed that these youngsters were serving in Burkina Faso for a few months.  I don’t think I ever would have personally chosen to go to a third-world country and live/work there for an extended period of time at their age.

Almost two hours have passed.  Where is she?  Where is her plane?  At last, the electronic screen says that Sarah’s flight has landed!  Whoo!  Just a few minutes not for her to get her bags, and then she’ll be coming through the arrival doors!  Everyone starts crowding closer to the roped off area, searching for loved ones.  Passengers start coming through, those who only had a carry-on, but no one who is white, thus, not Sarah.   (I was a little worried that I wouldn’t recognize her – it had been two years and maybe her hair was different or something….so my plan to easily find Sarah was to 1) spot any white girls; and 2) see if they resembled Sarah.  Considering the lack of white people coming off the plane in general, and young white women specifically, my plan was pretty fail proof.)  I stand on my tiptoes to see over the crowd, and occasionally a white or white-ish females passes through and my heart starts to beat fast, and Ishmael exclaims, “Is that her?!? Your friend?  Look there – a femme blanche!  That one is her?” but as the stranger comes closer I realize that she is most undeniably not my Sarah.   The crowd is starting to thin out, most people have now claimed their luggage, reunited with their loved ones, and left the airport.  No one is coming through the doors anymore.  What the heck.  That was her flight that came in, wasn’t it?  Did she miss her flight?   Did I screw up the date or time?  Shoot, maybe she had facebooked me to tell me something had changed, but I haven’t checked facebook for over two weeks.  Oh no.

I look around, a little unsure about my next step, and Ishmael tells me that we should wait a little longer, maybe Sarah was still looking for her luggage.  The Catholic American boys had found their new arrival – a curly-haired cute red headed girl – and a young woman of about 35-years-old was talking to them, looking really confused, and holding out a bunch of papers.  They must have noticed me staring at them, because they all came over to me, and the Catholic boys asked if I could help the woman. 
Me: Sure.  Maybe.  What do you need?
Woman:  I’m here for a business conference, and I came a few days early because I wanted to do a bit of sight-seeing around Ouaga, and so I need to get to my hotel myself, but I don’t know where it is or how to get there…and I don’t speak French.  I was assuming there’d be an information desk with someone who spoke English… but I guess I was wrong.
Me:  Oh ok.  No problem.  I’ll ask my friend.
***I take the papers, find the hotel’s name, and then turn to Ishmael.
Me: Ishmael, est-ce que vous savez l’Hôtel Excellence de Cinq Etoiles?  (Do you know Hotel Excellence of Five Stars?)
Ishmael: Oui, oui.  Bien sûr.  (Yes, yes.  Of course.)
Me: C’est où ?  (It’s where ?)
Ishmael: Bon, il y a deux hôtels avec ce nom.  Les papiers, ils disent quoi ?  C’est sur quelle route ?  (Well, there are 2 hotels with this name.  The papers, what do they say?  It’s on what road?)
Me:  Uh….ce ne dit pas où.   Je ne le vois pas….?  C’est juste le numéro de contact qui est donné.   (Uh, it doesn’t say.  I don’t see it.  It just gives the phone number.)
Ishmael: Ok, ça va.  Je vais les appeler et demander leur adresse(Ok, it’s fine.  I’ll call them and ask for the hotel address.)
***Ishmael whips out his portable and calls the hotel.  Ten seconds later, after saying a few words in Moore, he has the address and hangs up.  He tells me where the hotel is located, and I know the area; it’s not too far away.  I ask Ishmael how much a taxi will cost for the woman, and he says 2 mille is enough (same price as I was paying Ishmael), and he proceeds to go outside and search for one of his taxi-driver friends.  He arranges the taxi for the woman, explaining to the driver in Moore where she needs to, and he tells me to explain to her in English to only pay 2 mille and what the outside of the hotel looks like….
Woman: Wow, thank you!  This is perfect.  I never would have been able to figure this out on my own, and I probably would have given the taxi driver like 10 mille….not just 2 mille.  I mean, 10 mille, that’s like $20, and in New York that’d easily be the taxi fare.
Me:  No problem.  I’m glad I could help.
Woman:  So are you like….do you live here?  Is he your husband? ….or how do you speak with them in their language like that? 
Me:  Hahaha, Ishmael is NOT my husband.  Just my taxi driver.  And yes, I live here, I guess.  I’m a Peace Corps Volunteer and I’ve been in Burkina Faso for two years now, living in a small village about 300km west of Ouaga.  So that’s why I can speak to them without a problem.
Woman:  Oh Peace Corps!   I should’ve known; you look so integrated with your dress and jewelry and were speaking to the locals so fluently.  Wonderful!  You know, I was a Peace Corps Volunteer too.  From 2002 to 2005 in Ukraine.  But I just spoke English in my work there; I never had to learn a different language.  Wow, I should’ve guessed you were Peace Corps.  Duh.  So you were speaking French before, right?  I mean, it just sounded so different; I would have a hard time guessing it was French if I didn’t know that was the official language here.
Me:  Yeah, French French, like in Paris, is very different than African French.  A lot of times people who speak real French French can’t even understand me, and I can’t understand them either…. But supposedly it’s the same language haha.


Well, I had accomplished my good deed for the day and found an RPCV (Returned Peace Corps Volunteer) in the process.  Peace Corps – we’re everywhere!  However, there still rested the problem of no Sarah.   I was really beginning to get worried.  And then I saw her!  She was still inside, talking to a security officer, but I could see her through the glass windows, and I was certain it had to be her.  She looked just like I thought she would!  I waved and she waved back, but still didn’t exit.  Instead, she followed the officer around a corner.  What the heck is going on?  A few minutes later, Sarah finally came through the doors.  At last!  I ran up to her and gave her hug!  We were both smiling and laughing, and yet, Sarah looked like she had been crying.  And was going to cry again.




Aventure 3: les difficultés à l’aéroport

Me:  Are you okay?  What’s wrong?
Sarah:  Yeah, I’m fine now.  It was just really stressful trying to get my bags and my visa.  Everyone was so rude and unhelpful.  And no one spoke English so I didn’t understand anything.  I didn’t know where to go to get my bags or where everyone got the visa cards from.  A German girl was able to ask someone for one, and so she got one for me too, but I couldn’t even fill out my visa card cuz it was only in French and no one would translate for me.  I can’t believe they didn’t have a card in English, or someone who speaks English who works here.  Me and this German girl were both just staring at all the officers like, “What do we do?”  And we didn’t have a pen, and there were no pens on the table, and so we asked the officer for a pen, and he just stared at us, even though we could see the pen in his front pocket and I know he understood us.  I mean, we were pointing to the pen and making writing gestures with our hands, he had to of understood.  He was just being a jerk.  Some black guy next to us gave us his pen when he finished, at least he was nice.  The German girl kinda knew how read French, so she was trying to translate it into English for me and we sorta figured it out but then they wouldn’t stamp my passport to let me leave because I needed my visa approved and also visa photos, and I was like, “Where can I get my photos taken?  I didn’t know we needed to bring photos,” but since I don’t understand French and their English was horrible, I have no idea what they were actually telling me.  Something about come back tomorrow with the pictures for them and they will give me back my passport tomorrow, I think.  So right now I don’t even have my passport, they still have it.  And I guess tonight we need to find somewhere to take photos.  Can we even do that in this country? I don’t know what to do.  Oh, and then I needed to pay for the visa, but they wouldn’t accept U.S. cash or credit card and they wouldn’t let me go to an ATM to get money, because the ATM is past the customs area, and I was like, “How do I pay?  HELLOOOOOO, I’m coming from AMERICA, I don’t have Burkina Faso money yet!  What do I do?  Please just let me go to the ATM so I can get money.”  I was crying and everyone just laughed at me.  They were so rude.  I can’t believe they let such impolite people have jobs in a setting like this.  I mean, they’re like welcoming visitors to their country and giving us a first impression.  You’d think they’d be happier and more helpful.  And so I was trying to talk to this other officer to see if they would let me exit and find you, cuz I figured you’d been waiting and could probably help translate since you actually speak French, and that’s when I saw you through the window.  I don’t think they believed me when I tried explaining that I had friend who spoke French picking me up.  Or maybe they just didn’t understand.  It was all so awful.  I never want to come back to this airport again.

Me:  Oh my gosh…..I am so sorry.  Are you sure you’re alright?
Sarah:  Yeah, I just want to leave and go somewhere quiet and shower cuz I’ve been wearing these clothes for over 24 hours now.
Me:  Ok.  Well, is there anything we should do before we leave the airport?  What about your passport?
Sarah:  I don’t know.  I think we can come back tomorrow.
Me:  No, that’s not right.  You should be able to do everything right now, leave with your passport and not come back here until you fly out.  I’ve never heard any of my Peace Corps friends say that their visitors had to get their visa at the airport the next day…..that’s weird.  Let me go see what’s up.
***I approach the officer standing outside the “Arrivals” door (despite some other guards calling after me saying that I wasn’t allowed past the roped off area), and I explain that Sarah needs her passport and that we also need to pay for her visa.  He motions to the customs area and says that first Sarah needs her pictures for the visa – that the lack of pictures was why they refused to let her pay and kept her passport.  I was about to interrupt him and complain about everyone being rude and refusing to explain things to her even though they knew she didn’t understand French, when he calls over another guy and introduces him as the photographer, it would cost 5 mille for the photos, and they’d be printed within 10 minutes.  Well jeesh, why didn’t you say so?  This wasn’t so hard.
Sarah:  What!?!  Why couldn’t they have told me that they were capable of doing the photos in the airport?  Or just taken me to whatever room this guy was in?  No, instead they told me to come back tomorrow with photos!!! This is dumb!
***After the photos, we go to pay the 50 mille (100 USD) for the visa.  Everything is looking good, until the lady officer tells us to come back tomorrow to get Sarah’s passport.
Me:  Why tomorrow?  Why can’t we have it tonight?
Officer:  My supervisor needs to sign the form; I can’t do that.
Me:  What?  Why can’t he do it now?  Where is he?
Officer:  He left already for the day, so you’ll need to wait until tomorrow.  Or maybe Wednesday he’ll be back.  Two days from now.  No, tomorrow afternoon, at 5pm, it should be done, I think.
Me:  No!  We need the passport now.  How is she supposed to travel in Burkina without a passport?  What if the police stop us at a checkpoint on the road?  It won’t be done until tomorrow afternoon!?!?!  What about all the other people who are going to come on planes today and tomorrow and need a visa?  Everyone has to wait until Wednesday?
Officer:  Well, most people on the planes don’t need visas because they’re Burkinabe or already have work visas for Burkina.  There aren’t that many tourists, like your friend, that come to Burkina.  And usually they get the visa at the Burkinabe embassy in their country and mail in the papers, photos, and money a month before they arrive, so they don’t need to do it at the airport.
Me:  ……?...  And how was my friend supposed to know to get her visa a month in advance?  On the website it says that everything can be done at the airport upon arrival…..?
Officer:  Well, yes, that’s true.  But it will take a few days.  Especially if the supervisor is en déplacement.
Me:  Is there anyone else that can sign this form?
Officer:  No.  He’s the only one.
Me:  Well, then we’ll just have to leave the passport here until we come back to Ouaga in two weeks.  Tomorrow early morning we’re taking a bus to my village.  
***This was a small lie.  Plans weren’t fixed, and we truly would be heading to my village at some point in the next week, but not the next morning.  Probably the day after that.  But either way.  Doesn’t matter.  En plus, I was not willing to shell out an additional 4 mille for a taxi to the airport and back again; moreover, it wasted our precious time.  We should be wandering the Grand Marché and eating tasty street food, not putzing around in a dysfunctional airport.  I wasn’t leaving the airport until we had Sarah’s passport, and anything I could say to make them budge and figure out a solution to this “no supervisor to sign the form” problem was fair game.
Officer:  TWO WEEKS?!?  No, that’s not okay.  You can’t leave Ouaga without her passport.
Me:  I know, that’s why this is such a problem.  But we don’t have a choice.  I am a math teacher at my village’s CEG, and I need to be back for my work.  We need to take the bus tomorrow morning.
Officer:  You are a math teacher?  In a village!?!  How nice!  What language do they speak chez vous?
Me:  Dioula kan fo donni donni.  Mumgunda moore bilfu bilfu.  (I speak Jula small small.  I speak Moore small small.)
***Pulling the local language card works almost every time.  No Burkinabe can refuse a white girl who speaks local language…
Officer:  Ah!  Very good!  I am Mossi, so I speak Moore.  How early is your bus tomorrow?  Maybe it can be finished before your bus leaves.
Me:  Early.  6am. That’s why we need the passport tonight.
Officer:  That’s too early.  We don’t commence until 9am.
Me:  ….so….?
Officer:  Let me call my supervisor.  Maybe I can get special permission to sign this form.
***She proceeds to make a phone call.  Then she takes the visa form and Sarah’s passport and leaves the room.  After about ten minutes, she comes back.
Officer:  Okay, everything will be fine.  The supervisor gave permission for me to scan and email the documents, and he will sign them and send them back.  Then the passport number can be entered into the computer system and stamped, and then you can have the passport back.
Me:  When?
Officer:  Tonight.  I will stay here until it is all done, and then I will drop off the passport where you are staying.
Me:  Perfect!
Officer:  Where are you staying?
Me:  Uhhhh….oh. Shoot.  We don’t know yet. 
Officer:  So where do I take the passport?
Me:  Umm, can I have your number and call you on your cell phone to tell you where once we know which hotel?
Officer:  Well, okay.  I guess so.
Me:  Thank you!  Thank you so much for helping!
Sarah:  Merci!  Thanks!
Officer:  Pas de problème.  Bon soirée à vous deux.  (No problem.  Have a good evening, you two.)
Me: Vraiment ma sœur, merci beaucoup pour tout que vous avez fait pour nous!  (Really my sister, thanks a lot for all that you have done for us!)
Officer:  Allah ka wula heere di!  (Dioula blessing: “May God give you a good afternoon/evening.”)
Me:  Amina!  (Dioula blessing response: “Amen.”)
Officer:  Nse!  (Dioula response: “N-sayyyyy.”  Not translatable.)


At last, the airport disaster seemed to be mostly mended and Sarah and I could leave.  Ishmael had been waiting patiently for us the entire time; thus, he had now spent over three hours just chillin’ in the airport, not to mention the 30 minutes beforehand to drive me to the airport, and now the additional 30 minutes (or more) that it would take us to leave and find a place to stay.   What a good guy.  I was gonna have to pay him extra.   And he knew it.  Oh well.

We grab Sarah’s luggage and head towards the big exit doors.  I hadn’t even realized it was raining until I looked outside.  The rain was pouring down, water falling from the sky so fast that you could hardly see, tiny rivers trickling down the roads, puddles growing into lakes.  We had to cross the street to get to the “pick-up” area where taxis were allowed, so no matter what, we were going to get wet.  Our 10-second jaunt to the pick-up area resulted in all of us being completely drenched from head to toe. 

“You know,” I said to Sarah, “when I first arrived in Burkina two years ago, it rained as we left the airport, too.  Just like this, pouring rain.  The locals told us it was a good thing:  the rain is life -- it is a sign of God welcoming you to Burkina, and now you will have good luck for a year!   Plus, at the very least, the rain is signifying the start of rainy season and, thus, the end of hot season.  You’ll appreciate that.  Hot season is miserable.  You’d probably die.  I would die, but I’m used to it now so I’m fine.  But it’s still miserable.  Tonight will be nice out, maybe even kinda chilly, because of the rain.  You really are lucky!”


Aventure 4: L’hôtel

Since I didn’t have a hotel lined up, Ishmael took us to a popular one that a lot of other volunteers have stayed at, “Jardin de Kalouba.”  I checked it out, glanced at the room they were offering us, and made sure the price was reasonable.  Sarah had had a rough day so far, and so I didn’t want to spend too much time driving around looking for a cheap room.  We could always stay at a different place tomorrow, if need be.  Everything at Jardin de Kalouba seemed fine, and so we moved our luggage in, paid Ishmael, and put dry clothes on before sprawling on the queen-sized bed.  Yes, this was going to be just fine.  Maybe we’d even stay here two nights.  Pool outside, clean room, air-con, comfy bed, even wi-fi.  All for 11 mille a night, or about $22.  Yeah, I could handle paying that.





As tired as we both were, we weren’t going to nap.  We had two years of catching up to do!  We talked about the standard things (How’s it going?  What are you up to?  How’s your job?) and also some random things (apparently Sarah’s mom has a guy “in mind” for me when I get home.  Ha.  I’m not sure why my love life is of concern to Sarah’s MOM or why I am even a topic of conversation at their dinner table when I am several thousand miles away living in a mud hut, but whatever).  I looked through Sarah’s suitcases and oooed and ahhhed at the goodies she had brought – some of which were for her, some were for me, and some were for my village.  Wow, your t-shirts are so clean looking!  Oh yay!  Fancy razors so I can shave my legs again – it’s been a few months…. OMG.  Is that a Snickers bar?  And those are the books and puzzles for my village’s library?  Wow, there’s so many!  The kids are going to be so excited!

I laughed hysterically when I saw that the wooden puzzles were all made up of black people.  There was a doctor and patient scene, Martin Luther King in front of the Stars and Stripes, a boy riding a bike, and more.  But every single person was black!  Not that there’s anything wrong with that.  Oh no.  I was laughing because it was too perfect: everyone in Africa is black!  (Ok, whoa, not true.  That was a very prejudiced, stereotypical comment that just came out of my typing hands.  I should know better.  Africa is a very big continent.  A lot of people in Africa are actually white, or tan.  Far from brown or black.  Just like how America is comprised of many colors besides white, not everyone in Africa is black.  Just everyone in Burkina Faso.  There, that’s better!)  I couldn’t wait to show my village kids the puzzles, and the fact that the wooden characters looked similar to them was going to make such a difference in their understanding of the world.  “See, Aïcha, this woman is a doctor; you can grow up to be a lady doctor too!  Girls can do anything, just like boys!  Female power!   Down with men!  Women: we will rule the world!”  Yes, these puzzles were going to inspire the youth of Burkina Faso, cultivate future leaders’ perspectives, bring about world peace, etc.  (My mom later told me that these puzzles weren’t exactly donations, but rather giveaways that St. Raphael’s Catholic Church had been trying to get rid of for quite some time now.  Every winter carnival for the past ten years the puzzles were set out as game prizes, but no one ever wanted them because the wooden characters had black skin.  The Caucasian character puzzles had disappeared instantly that very first year – I remember them!  I, or maybe it was my littlest sister, had won one playing the Duck Pond.  It had to have been my little sister; I was probably just accompanying her.  A 15-year-old wouldn’t have been playing the Duck Pond, right?  Right.   Anyways, all the Caucasian puzzles found homes, and even the Asian puzzles did too, after a year or two.  But for a decade, the black puzzles had remained untouched, unwanted.  All because of the color the characters’ skin was painted.  Sad.  Sorta.  I mean, I found the whole situation to be hilarious.  A little twisted, sure, but simultaneously a blessing.  Had Springfield people been more tolerant and accepting of black-skinned puzzle characters, I never would have had the opportunity to stare at a stack of 15 good quality puzzles in a hotel room in Ouagadougou, imagining how excited my dirty, shoe-less, half-naked village kids would be to play with these “culturally appropriate” learning materials.  It was just too perfect!)

My phone rings, interrupting our reminiscing of International Music Camp, having been the best co-deans of our dorm ever, and also having inspired the forever-remembered performance as “Twin Lady Gagas” at the IMC Student Talent Show with my guitar, Sarah’s garbage can drum, and our beautiful vocals, followed by the epicness that was the Three Guys’ “Single Ladies” dance, fully choreographed.  Not to mention all the awesome people at IMC, like Matt Miles, Laura Mahowald, Callum, Jeremy, Aaron, Greta, Amber, basically everyone (except not everyone, cuz there were a few people that I decided I didn’t like….).  As I glance at my cellphone, I realize it’s the number of the female officer who had helped us with Sarah’s visa affair.   “Oh no!” I exclaim.  “I forgot to call the visa lady and tell her what hotel we’re at.”

I answer the phone, and the lady tells me that the visa is ready now and she can drop it off at our hotel for us if I can tell her where we’re staying.  “Oh, yes, merci, we are at l’hôtel Jardin de Kalouba; it’s not far from the airport…..no I don’t know what street.  Um….I think it’s near the Lebanese restaurant?”  She was going to try and find us, but little did I know that there are actually two hotels in Ouaga with a similar name -- Jardin de Kalouba and Hotel Kalouba – and they weren’t located near each other at all.  I go downstairs to the reception area, thinking that the officer would show up in a few minutes – after all, our taxi ride from the airport to the hotel only took about 5 minutes.  Five minutes pass, then ten. Then fifteen.  Gosh, I thought she woulda been here by now. Well it is pouring rain again.  Maybe she got delayed because of all the water on the roads. 

My phone rings.  It’s the officer again.  “Where are you?” she asks.  “I can’t find the hotel you said you are at.  I need directions or a street name.”  I apologize and panic slightly – I had no idea where we were.  It had been dark and pouring rain when we left the airport, plus I had been chatting with Sarah, so I hadn’t paid any attention to how we got to the hotel or what roads we drove on or which important buildings we passed.  The hotel was in the middle of a residential area.  There were no significant landmarks nearby, though a PCV had told me to check out the Lebanese restaurant that was apparently nearby and within walking distance.  But I didn’t even know the name of this restaurant, or its location from the hotel.  Urgh.  Poor officer, out searching for us in the rain.  She was really going out of her way to help us, and I was just making things more complicated for her.  What to do?  I hang up and tell the officer I will call her back in a few minutes with the address of the hotel.

The hotel is dead quiet.  I’m pretty sure Sarah and I were the only guests.  I don’t see any hotel staff, nor anyone at the reception desk.  I go into the restaurant area, and notice a white man with dreadlocks (short dreads, just a few inches in length) sitting behind the bar, looking through some record books.  Hmm.  I wonder if he works here?  Sure enough, he turned out to be a French guy who moved to Burkina a few years ago and now he owns Jardin de Kalouba Guesthouse.  I explain to him that an airport officer needed to drop off a visa and passport, but that she didn’t know how to get here.  I dial the officer’s number, and hand the phone over to the French guy, who explains exactly where we are in clear French French.  Problem solved.  I hope.

A few minutes later, our lady showed up.  She had been riding a moto (for some reason I had pictured her driving around Ouaga looking for us in a car), and so she was completely soaked.  But, Sarah’s passport was dry – the lady had good sense and put it in a plastic bag and then inside her jacket.  I thanked her for all her help and her willingness to find us despite the rain, and then she sped away.  I don’t think she was very happy with us.  I don’t blame her.


Aventure 5: Où est notre hôtel ?

We take a taxi to the Transit House to meet Gregory for supper, and this time I pay attention to where the taxi is going.  “Oh!  I didn’t realize we were right here!  Yeah, and that’s the Lebanese Restaurant over there.  Okay, I think I know where we are now.”  For Sarah’s first night (and first food) in Burkina Faso, Gregory, Sarah, and I all agreed that “normal” food would probably be our best option, as opposed to street food.  Moreover, we wanted a nice sit-down atmosphere so we could talk.  Eating with our hands on the side of the street didn’t seem conducive to meaningful conversation.  We walk from the Transit House to the restaurant (I can’t remember which one, but it had a beautiful outdoor seating area) and end up ordering pizza and wine.  I know, I know, you’re all probably thinking, “Pizza?!?! You go all the way to Africa and eat pizza?!?!”  But I can justify this: 
**First of all, pizza (specifically cheese) is a huge treat for PCVs.  We do not get this sort of food unless we are in Ouaga.  I had just finished the school year and Camp Heere and pulled an all-nighter and sat on a bus with goats peeing on me all morning and hadn’t eaten since my café au lait and bread at 5am.  I deserved a pizza.  Maybe even two pizzas.  And a pitcher of wine.  All to myself. 
**Secondly, from Sarah’s perspective, she too, had experienced a rough day of travel and airport mishaps.  Pizza is comforting.  Oily overcooked macaroni with goat intestine probably isn’t.
**Thirdly, pizza in Burkina Faso is legit Italian cuisine, fired in a brick-oven, with interesting and tasty toppings such as corn, goat cheese, egg, tuna, fresh pineapple, eggplant, and more.  It’s completely different from a Domino’s pepperoni pizza.  I’m sure there are places in Americaland that also serve real Italian pizza, but I had never had anything like this until Burkina, and then of course Italy, when I went there last September. 

We enjoyed our meal and sipped our wine, and when Sarah declared that she was finished, Gregory and I fought over who got to eat her scraps.  We ended up splitting the scraps equally, as is only fair.  ***Tangent: if there are ever PCVs present in the vicinity of food, you can guarantee that every plate will be licked clean.  It doesn’t matter what was served, or how “bad” it tasted, or how long it’s been sitting out, or that someone else totally started chewing that piece of meat and spit it out, or that it was an important business function for responsible adults and PCVs were definitely NOT invited, but rather just happened to be walking by on the street and noticed uneaten food and waited rather creepily in the mango tree shadows until all the important business people had cleared out and gone back to their rooms for naps before entering the fancy dining area and feasting, all while greeting the Burkinabe restaurant staff who don’t know what to do with the young tubabus who mysteriously appeared and are wearing dirty pagne clothes rather than business suits and are speaking local language at them:  “Aw ni tile!   Somogodo?  Hey!  Oh, it’s okay.  Don’t throw that out yet.  We’ll eat that.  We’ll bring all the dishes to you when we’re done, so you can just leave us alone for a few minutes, thanks.  Or do want to join us?  Half-eaten chicken leg?  Help yourselves!  Bon fête everyone!”  Yes, it is a well-known fact that PCVs will eat just about anything, at any time, and in mass quantities, too.  We no longer have taste buds.  Or our dignity.  But that’s alright!  There’s no shame in being a part of the clean plate club….or helping others achieve clean plates, too.  Right?***

Somehow our wine sipping and causerie (chat), took us all the way to midnight and we knew it was time to call it a night before things started getting weird due to fatigue, jetlag, and too many glasses of wine.  I called our unofficial but official Peace Corps taxi drivers, but no one answered their phones, even though I had talked to Seydou earlier that evening and he said he’d be available around midnight.  Shoot.  Well, it was getting late and there was no point in waiting for them to pick up their phones.  So Sarah and I walked to the main highway a few blocks from the Transit House.  We waited about fifteen minutes, but not a single taxi drove by.  I continued to call taxi drivers.  No luck.  No one on the road, and no one on the phone.  We walk back to the Transit House, and I realize that my phone is out of unité – I didn’t have any money/credit to call anyone; that’s why none of the calls were going through.  Urgh, horrible timing.  Everything was closed, so I couldn’t buy any Airtel unité until the morning; and even if I used someone else’s phone, now it was definitely too late to call a taxi – all the drivers were probably sleeping. 


Our options consisted of the following:
1. Continue to wait by the side of the road and take our chances on a taxi going by, but who knows how long that would take.  Also, there was the risk of being kidnapped and/or murdered while standing by the highway.  (Well, not really true.  But at the very least, drunk homeless people could come up to us and be annoying and I didn’t feel like dealing with that at this hour.)
2.  Crash at the Transit House on the floor, or an empty couch if we could find one, until morning.  Probably our safest option, but not technically allowable, since Sarah wasn’t a PCV and the house was already overfull and I hadn’t reserved a place.  Besides, we’d have to pay and we were already paying for our nice air-con room with a real bed, whether or not we slept there.
3.  Bike back to our hotel, providing we could borrow two bikes from the Transit House and find our way back downtown to our hotel.

Naturally, we chose option three.  We located two bikes amongst the millions parked at the house, and I hoped these bikes were community bikes and not PCVs’ personal bikes, especially since we were completely taking them sans permission and not informing anyone.  The bikes didn’t have a name plaque anywhere that I noticed, so I figured we were in the clear and had actually found two workable community bikes.  Sarah and I each picked up a bike helmet from the pile, and then we hit the road.  It was so exhilarating to be biking down Ouaga’s main streets at 1:00am.  Hardly any traffic, cool breeze, reggae music from the dance bars filling the otherwise quiet city.  It was going to be about a 15 minute bike ride, but distance-wise it wasn’t too far and pretty much a straight shot.  We finally passed the “rooster” statue, and so I knew we were close.  Alright, which residential road do we turn on?  Where is that Lebanese restaurant?  It should be on a corner, on this main road.  Nothing seemed familiar enough, and so we kept going.  We were now on Kwame Nkrumah, a different highway, but I knew this road too, and I knew that if we got near Festival de Glace (ice cream restaurant) or Barka (beer and burger bar), we’d be a block or two from our hotel.  We went up and down, and even saw Festival de Glace, but couldn’t seem to see Barka anywhere.  Ohmygod, where is our hotel?  We’re in the neighborhood Kalouba, look there’s the Pharmacie Kalouba.  We gotta be close!  Maybe we were supposed to go left at Festival de Glace?    Biking up and down Ouaga’s city streets was no longer fun.  The thrill had passed.  It was after 2:00am and we were exhausted and frustrated, and of course I was the only one who could do anything, Sarah was just following me. 

We were plagued with even further bad luck when Sarah’s back tire chain came off.  We stop to try and fix it.  A taxi driver goes by, then turns around and comes back.  “Here, let me help you do that,” he says.  He fixes the chain and then turns to get back in his taxi. 

“Wait, mon frère!  Do you know Jardin de Kalouba?  It’s not far from here, we are going there, but I can’t remember which road to turn on.”  He gives us directions, and it seems as if we are indeed nearby, but I couldn’t really understand what he said, and so finally I just ask him to take us there.  We put our bikes in the taxi trunk and crawl into the taxi.  We drive for about a whole two minutes, and then we are at our hotel.  So we were close!  I knew we weren’t THAT lost.  We had gone by this road a million times!  But, in all honesty, even if someone had held my hand and led me right to my hotel’s door, I don’t think I would have found it.  Because it was located in a residential area, it had a wall and courtyard gate, just like all the surrounding houses, and it didn’t have anything too special sticking out of the yard or an electric sign blinking in front of the courtyard door or anything at all to designate it as a hotel, if you didn’t know better.


At last we were in our air-con room and on our comfy bed.  It was pushing 3am, and though we had planned to wake up early to go to the market, we decided against that idea and instead set our alarm for noon before immediately passing out.

No comments:

Post a Comment